Friday, 24 January 2014

Chosen concept and breakdown

This module is based on advanced 3D rendering, and the focus of the next 12 weeks is to create a 3D scene and cinematic based on a concept. But not only to create a scene but to look further into methods and process when creating environments and this is what the blog is for.

I have chosen a concept based on a futuristic styled diner created by Hethe Srodawa, there are several concepts on this piece but I want to focus on the interior of the diner itself rather than the exterior.
The reason I have chosen this concept is because it has a unique style, you see many futuristic concepts out there that are very similar in some way or another but I like how this has a bit of colour in and it draws you eyes to the little details in the scene.

Here are the two interior concepts I will be working off;





After some searching I have found the exterior concepts for this piece, I would like to expand and do the whole scene however I feel it may be too much of a task with two other modules which include environments along with this. So instead I will focus on the concepts above while taking reference from the exterior concept to build around the back of the diner. 
The idea is to use the large rocks and trees to surround the back of the diner to make you feel that you are at the back of the building rather than at the entrance which the concept shows. I like the idea of using the metal bridge and valley surrounding the back which could give some dynamic movement to the scene  with the water, along with the monitors playing a video and ceiling fans moving. In addition to this to make the environment more believable I feel adding custom music to sound like it's coming from the speakers will help.



The problem I have come across is how I will create a cinematic on this very closed-in scene, which will have to be 30 seconds to a minute long. For the cinematic, I'm thinking of basing on the players perspective starting from the door entrance, but I will produce a storyboard at a later stage. Another problem I have come across is the playable area, it is quite closed-in so there is not much room for movement like a real game would have, having said that I will continue with it.

Here is a list of things I need to consider;
  • Mix of indoor and outdoor lighting
  • Not very modular, many unique assets
  • Outside terrain 
  • Water shader 
  • Foliage
I have now broke the scene down identifying the assets needed and now I have a much better understanding of what is needed and if this project is realistic in the time given.

Here are the prop items


Here are the walls and floors







No comments:

Post a Comment